Sunday, September 7, 2008

My First Tri....a lessoned learned









So I completed my first sprint triathlon last night and overall I had a blast and can't wait to do another one but hopefully under different circumstances!!! It was a little intimidating being surrounded by all these well trained and experienced triathlons with all their amazing $2500-5000 rode bikes and all the professional gear that comes with it. But for the most part it was all very exciting and I was very anxious to see how it was going to all play out. I had to keep in mind that this was my first race and what better way to learn but from the best. The women's wave started at 4:50 pm and at that time it was 108 degrees! I got out to a quick start and felt good through out the 3 mile run besides my throat being on fire and my mouth was super super dry from the heat . I finished in 7th place and quickly transitioned to the bike leg of the race. This was tough being that tired already so off I went on the 11 mile ride. That's when the nightmare of Satan's lair quickly approached.......let me feel you in real quick before I start. My training for the cycling leg was mainly my cycling classes at the gym and biking around the area where I lived which was all FLAT GROUND. I was really dumb not to make it out to that actual course and do a few practise runs, but with our schedules there was no time for that. Sooooo I PAID for it!!!. Three-fourths of the course was uphill and oh yeah there are these things called gears you are suppose to take advantage of. Having only practiced twice on my old school 1970 tank of a bike I wasn't familiar how and when to use the gears. I didn't know that you had to change gears before you go into the hill. OK so if you could only imagine me going up these inclines like as if in slow motion exerting way for thrust and surging like never before and going NO WHERE!!! YIKES!!! I was struggling while all of these people buzzed by me effortless and barely breaking a sweat. Finally there was a break where the course was down hill and the gear I was in was working for me then. There was 3 laps to this course so every uphill battle I got further and further behind. An hour later, (mind you it only took me 42 minutes on my trial run last week on flat ground), I came into the transition area to quickly strip and run to the pool to complete the race. I was getting excited, even though I really couldn't feel my legs. I was happy to swim cause I knew I was almost done and that swimming was my strongest leg of the race. I was able to pass up 16 women and put myself from 44th to 28th place over all. I placed 2nd individually in the swim leg. That made me feel a lot better to know that. This triathlon was probably the most challenging thing I have every done both mentally and physically next to giving birth to 2 children. This experience taught me a lot about hard work and determination. I wanted to throw the towel in during this challenge but I am so glad I didn't. Wow I never could have imagined how hard I would have to push myself to complete this race. I can't wait to do them again and Alan says he will do them with me from here on out. We are both excited to keep in shape and to push ourselves even more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing Rach! That' is so dang awesome!

salena said...

You are amazing! I cant even imagine training for something like that while working and taking care of 2 babies!

Who knew there was so much involved in biking?! Thats awesome that you jumped that far ahead in the swimming part! You're awesome! I'll just think of you when I dont wanna get off my butt to do Taebo for 30 minutes!

Bekah Parker said...

Good job Rach!! I will call you later today and you can tell me all about it.

Pepper Lovin! said...

good job girl! I knew you could do it! How are you call my house.

Anonymous said...

Wow....you are incredible...I can't believe you got through that...and to be in 7th place on your first triathlon...amazing. Good for you!